We absolutely love photographing our couples' engagement session - we are obsessed with creating exciting images and spending a few hours one on one with amazing couples! Its not only time to craft images, but to get to know our #jpcouples! Find out what you love, how you met, your favourite foods, family pets and everything else!
We want our couples (YOU!) to know you're extra special, and you're incredibly important to us! The shoot is all about celebrating you, getting to know each other and having an epic session!
This post is all about our top tips to have an amazing session, so read on!
We want you to all look your best! So we recommend creating a "look" for your session! This means that you will want to wear clothing with a colour story! Here are some ideas that work great:
- Brighter Tones: If you’re on the beach, you might enjoy going for brighter tones, and complimenting those with neutrals! This will help you pop from the scene!
- Start with the bride to be's outfit - and craft your look around her!
- Compliment, DON'T MATCH!: You want colours that generally complement each other: for instance, soft colours (light blue, grey, blush) or warm colours (brown, orange, burgundy), If you want colourful images, then you should choose a more vivid colour scheme for your outfits!
- Solids Work Best: While pattern does look great, if you’re looking for a fail-proof outfit combination, go with solids. To keep things from looking boring, include textures (think chunky knits, tulle, lace, etc). Avoid tiny prints, especially small plaid and small stripes.
Please don't overlook this detail! Put your feet in something that adds to your look! We love high heels, or heeled boots with a cute dress! If you have a fabulous pair of shoes that you've been meaning to wear...this is the PERFECT time! If you've got matching his/hers shoes (like Steve & I do!), you could go that route too! Shoes can make or break your look - so make sure they're top priority! That means no ratty or muddy sneakers!
If we're on a sandy beach - maybe you want to go barefoot, in which case, bring a towel with you to dry your feet off.
- This is the perfect opportunity to have a run-through with your hair & makeup artist. It's a great way to get to know the artists you've booked for the wedding day and hold a mini practice session! We know some fabulous artists - so If you need recommendations, just let us know and we'll hook you up!
- Have your hair blown out or styled for the session. Give some thought to where we're shooting the session, and style your hair accordingly! If we're at a windy beach, you may want your hair pulled back to avoid it getting in your eyes - just make sure you take care of you!
- If you’re planning on doing your own makeup, pay special attention to your eyes! Your eyes will be a focal point for many of your images, so spend extra time making them look beautiful, and definitely consider wearing false lashes! Wear a little more makeup than usual, as this will help you really pop in frame! Also, natural colour tones (browns, tans, pinks) tend to look flattering on most skin tones.
- Transition Glasses: Please be mindful that with sun, often transitions will make the move to dark, and we love to see your eyes in the photos! If you have alternate glasses, or can wear contacts for the photos, we would love to see them!
This session is all about you - so why not bring something you love! A prop (like light sabres, an insta log for a beach fire, books, a pet or a classic car!) really makes your session unique for you! We've seen canoes, dogs, and yes - light sabres! We've "floated" books! It makes the session more fun and even more memorable and we can get incredible creative with what we're photographing!
You may have heard us mention it when we were chatting - its so important to choose a location that resonates with you both! We don't want to put you in a place that makes no sense for you. We can help you choose the perfect location - just give us a few details of what you love! The beach, the forest, the place where you got engaged or even a place where you enjoy a hobby together!
We know this may be your first time in front of the camera, we've got you covered! During your session we're there telling you how fabulous you're looking, how great you're doing and guiding you throughout the experience! We'll let you know where your hands need to be, where to look, and by the time your wedding day arrives - you will be utterly flawless & confident in front of the camera!